Thursday, September 22, 2016

Here’s How I See It

You can do things like everybody else, but that guarantees not one fucking thing.
Or, you can do things your own damn way.

Life is too short to continuously pound your head against any wall for too long,
and that’s exactly what I’ve been doing.

Instead of following the crowds, I write the books I want to read, and I like them. I
have original ideas, not three pages go by without some action or a revelation, and
I don’t find myself boring. Reviews, real reader reviews, when I get them, say I’m
doing a great job. Real reader reviews are also freaking hard to get, yet my ratio is
still one out of ten readers leaves a review. Damn good, considering.

The only problem I’ve discovered to date is, I can’t pay to play. I don’t have the
marketing dollars. Even if I had the cash, I couldn’t get in the biggest book-
marketing newsletters because of my lack of reviews. That translates into: I don’t
exist.

Top sellers spend an average of $1500 each and every month to stay at the top of
the charts, and that’s what I live on for two months, and that’s not counting my
food stamps.

My money can do more for me in other ways. Why spend it on book marketing
that does little or nothing? There are other ways of telling people you exist.

That’s the direction I’m going. I want to be where ordinary people are. What I can
do for myself to find these ordinary readers.

I like what I’m doing now. I stopped worrying about the pay-to-play world of
book marketing. I don’t offer freebies. I don’t do anything like I’m supposed to,
and I sold more books in the last week than I did in the last six months.

So, I’m going to continue with being me. Chapter nine of Baby Makes Three
needs to be completed, and it will take a few days. It might take a week. That’s
right, five pages might take a week, but I’ll know they’re good pages.

Warrior, I’ve decided to keep going with that book, however, I’m going to do it in
the second person Point Of View, past tense. You, instead of I (first person POV),
or he or she (third person POV). I can get darker that way.

That’s it.

In the meantime, become a follower, sign up for my Rip’s Picks newsletter, show
your appreciation and buy me a cup of coffee, read my story on Wattpad, vote,
leave a comment, or just buy a book. Read me for free (15 of my books out of 16
published) through your KindleUnlimited subscription.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment